I suddenly noticed that the old T-shirt I was wearing around the house lists “Top Ten Reasons I’m in the Societies”. That’s the Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. They are so faded now that I can barely read them; so, I thought I would preserve them here for posterity. Some are timeless, some are funny if you were in the Societies in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and some I still don’t get.
- A happening thing to do on Monday night
- Oldest student organization
- Looks good on a résumé
- We have all the cool Alumni
- Because it’s when they stop talking you worry
- The December is in November
- Circus peanuts are free
- You can’t go home again
- Love that bad wine, bad poetry
- My God! How they talked!
By the way, my wine of choice is still Lambrusco.